Professor Peter Higgs collects Nobel Prize for `God particle`
Zee Media Bureau
Stockholm: Professor Peter Higgs has received his Nobel prize for physics at a ceremony in Stockholm.
Professor Peter Higgs, an emeritus professor at Edinburgh University shares this year`s physics prize with Francois Englert for work on the theory of the Higgs boson.The mechanism he helped devise predicts a particle - the Higgs boson - which was finally discovered in 2012 at the Large Hadron Collider on the French-Swiss border.
King Carl Gustav presented Prof Higgs with his Nobel medal at the Stockholm Concert Hall just before 1600 GMT to which he received a standing ovation from the audience.
It was on 8 October 2013 when it was announced that Peter Higgs and François Englert would share the 2013 Nobel Prize in Physics "for the theoretical discovery of a mechanism that contributes to our understanding of the origin of mass of subatomic particles, and which recently was confirmed through the discovery of the predicted fundamental particle, by the ATLAS and CMS experiments at CERN’s Large Hadron Collider". Higgs did not even know he had won the prize until a woman congratulated him in the street, since he did not have a mobile phone or any way of being contacted.
Professor Lars Brink, chairman of the Nobel Committee for Physics, said the two men`s work had helped change our understanding of the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Jamiat Ulema-e-Pakistan leader Aqeel Anjum narowly escapes assassination attempt
- China's finance minister sees ''Brexit'' heightening uncertainty for markets
- Is Aamir Khan scared of 'Sultan'? Here's what Salman Khan has to say
- Nissan creates GT-R Drone to match the updated 2017 GT-R
- Neighbouring country trying to destabilise India: Rajnath