Professor Satish Dhawan endowed fellowship established at Caltech
Bangalore: The Department of Space has established an endowed fellowship at the Graduate Aerospace Laboratories of the California Institute of Technology (Caltech) in the US.
The fellowship has been established in honour of Professor Satish Dhawan, who was the Chairman of Indian Space Research Organisation during its formative period 1972-1984.
"The fellowship provides an excellent opportunity every year starting from the winter session of the academic year 2013-14 to one meritorious graduating student from the Aerospace Department of the Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology, Thiruvananthapuram to be sponsored by the Department of Space, to pursue Masters in Aerospace Engineering at Caltech", ISRO said.
Prof. Dhawan was an alumnus of the Graduate Aerospace Laboratories at Caltech and obtained his PhD in aerospace in 1951. He was serving as Distinguished Visiting Professor during 1971-72 at Caltech, immediately preceding his assumption of the Chairmanship of ISRO in 1972.
Prof Dhawan was not only a visionary leader of ISRO but also an internationally recognised researcher and a legendary teacher. He was bestowed with the Distinguished Alumni Award by Caltech in 1969, the highest alumnus honour, according to an ISRO statement.
The Government of India honoured Prof. Dhawan by awarding him Padma Vibhushan in 1981.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- WATCH: Roger Federer mesmerizes centre court crowd with a 'tweener lob'
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions