Queen Elizabeth II`s beloved corgis `becoming endangered`
London: Queen Elizabeth II`s favourite dog breed, the Pembroke Welsh Corgi, is at risk of disappearing, Britain`s Kennel Club breeders` association has warned.
Known for their short legs and yappy voices, the herding dogs have been favoured by the British monarchy since the 1930s and the queen, 87, has raised dozens herself.
But the Kennel Club said that with just 241 Pembroke Welsh Corgis registered in Britain this year, the breed is on its "at watch" list and is set to be classed as a "vulnerable native breed" by January.
"It looks unlikely to reach the 300 registrations needed to stay off the vulnerable native breeds list," the organisation said in a statement.
Right-leaning newspaper The Daily Telegraph blamed the decline of the corgi on the previous Labour government, which lost power in 2010 to a coalition led by Prime Minister David Cameron`s Conservatives.
Labour introduced a law in 2007 banning "tail-docking" -- the practice of cutting off part of a dog`s tail -- leading many breeders to abandon the corgi after it changed the breed`s appearance, the Telegraph argued.
The queen currently has two corgis, Holly and Willow, as well as two dorgis -- a cross-breed of dachshund and corgi -- named Candy and Vulcan, according to the monarchy`s official website.
The Kennel Club said the decline of native breeds such as the Pembroke Welsh Corgi has been accompanied in Britain by the "astronomical" rise of small foreign breeds that can fit inside a handbag, such as the French bulldog.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!