Rare white tiger has knee surgery in Japan
Tokyo: Vets in Japan have carried out knee surgery on a rare white tiger cub, fixing a leg problem the animal had been born with.
In what was being billed as the first such operation on an animal of its kind, surgeons fixed a congenitally displaced kneecap in its right hind leg.
The nine-month-old male, named Sky, was under the knife for five-and-a-half hours yesterday at the Nihon University animal hospital in Fujisawa, south of Tokyo, the school said on its website.
The animal was under general anaesthetic throughout the operation.
The tiger, now weighing 56 kilogrammes (123 pounds), was born in March at Tobu Zoo in a northern suburb of Tokyo.
A team of veterinary surgeons began the surgery by cutting open the knee and lifting the displaced patella.
"It was a very difficult operation but we managed to complete it without any problems," said Kazuya Edamura, who led the operation.
"The bone and muscle there were more deformed than we expected. They were thicker and heavier, so we were forced to change the planned method of operation."
But, he added, Sky has youth on his side and will make a full recovery.
The white tiger is a rare variant of the Bengal tiger, born without the pigment that usually makes its fur orange.
According to the website of the university`s College of Bio resource Sciences, there are about 300 white tigers in captivity in the world, including some 30 in Japan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp