Rats bigger than sheep could roam earth one day
London: Researchers have found that rats could evolve, over time, into super-sized rodents that are bigger than sheep and weigh as much as a person.
Geologist Dr Jan Zalasiewicz, from the University of Leicester, said that given enough time, rats could probably grow to be at least as large as the capybara, the world`s largest rodent, which can reach at least 12.5 stone, the Daily Express reported.
Zalasiewicz asserted that if the ecospace was sufficiently empty, then they could get larger still.
Zalasiewicz explained that animals will evolve, over time, into whatever designs will enable them to survive and to produce offspring.
For instance, in the Cretaceous Period, when the dinosaurs lived, there were mammals, but these were very small, rat and mouse-sized, because dinosaurs occupied the larger ecological niches, Zalasiewicz said.
Zalasiewicz said that only when the dinosaurs were out of the way did these tiny mammals evolve into many different forms, including some very large ones.
The largest rodent known to roam earth is the extinct Josephoartegasia monesi, which was larger than a bull and weighed over a tonne.
Dr Zalasiewicz also said that there are `rat islands` all across the world, where rats are the dominant species, and once they are established they are "extraordinarily hard to eradicate".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family