Research programme to study earthquake precursors: President Pranab Mukherjee
New Delhi: India has launched a first-of-its- kind research programme to study changes that take place deep inside the earth before a quake.
Geologists are working towards setting up a mini-lab eight kilometres underground near the seismically active Koyna region in Maharashtra.
"Government is setting up a dedicated Seismological Research Laboratory and has launched a first-of-its-kind research programme in the earthquake-prone Koyna-Warna region of Maharastra to study precursor changes," President Pranab Mukherjee said in his address to Parliament.
The Koyna region, which is home to a large hydel project, is a highly active seismic zone and would provide scientists an opportunity to study earthquakes more closely in real-time.
Scientists believe that the seismicity associated with the Koyna reservoir was unique in the world as it is one of the few sites where earthquakes of magnitude greater than five on the Richter scale continue to occur even four decades after the initial spurt of activity in 1967.
Mukherjee also said the Indian tsunami early warning system was recognised as the Regional Tsunami Service Provider for the Indian Ocean region in October 2012.
He said India`s third permanent station in Antarctica was commissioned in March 2012.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why