Researchers discover new material for quantum computing
Washington: A common blue pigment that is used in the 5-pound-note could have an important role to play in quantum computer`s development, according to a new research.
The pigment, copper phthalocyanine (CuPc), is similar to the light harvesting section of the chlorophyll molecule, is a low-cost organic semiconductor that is found in many household products.
Crucially, it can be processed into a thin film that can be readily used for device fabrication, a significant advantage over similar materials that have been studied previously.
Researchers from the London Centre for Nanotechnology at UCL and the University of British Columbia have shown that the electrons in CuPc can remain in `superposition` - an intrinsically quantum effect where the electron exists in two states at once - for surprisingly long times, showing this simple dye molecule has potential as a medium for quantum technologies.
The development of quantum computing requires precise control of tiny individual "qubits", the quantum analogs of the classical binary bits, `0` and `1`, which underpin all of our computation and communications technologies today. What distinguishes the " qubits " from classical bits is their ability to exist in superposition states.
The decay time of such superpositions tells us how useful a candidate qubit could be in quantum technologies. If this time is long, quantum data storage, manipulation and transmission become possible.
The study has been published in the journal Nature.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi