Researchers find way to hasten heart cells` regeneration
Tokyo: Japanese researchers have found a method to regenerate heart cells, the Nikkei daily reported Monday.
The discovery could facilitate the recovery of patients suffering from cardiac arrests and reduce their physical consequences.
The system involves modification of the genes of fibroblasts, a type of cells that play a very important role in healing and the production of collagen, a structural protein of the various connective tissues in animals, into cardiac muscles.
In experiments conducted with rats, the researchers managed to reprogramme heart fibroblasts of these animals to turn them into cardiomyocytes, adding five types of genes and a type of ribonucleic acid.
It took up to a month for this conversion to take place.
If effective in human beings, this method could offer a faster alternative than other ones that are currently being tested to develop cardiamyocytes or cardiac muscles from induced pluripotent stem (iPS) cells (adult cells that have been genetically reprogrammed back to embryonic-like state).
Moreover, this process would be less aggressive for the patients as it consists of injecting the "cocktail" of genes directly into the heart to induce cellular reprogrammation whereas the method based on iPS requires open heart surgery.
The discovery, coordinated by Ieda Masaki, professor at Keio University, will be published in the European scientific journal EMBO Journal, Nikkei revealed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings