Researchers reveal how sand dunes are formed
Zee News Bureau/Liji Varghese
New Delhi: Researchers, after a four-year experiment have revealed how prevailing winds create sand dunes on Earth.
Since sand dunes are one of the most difficult landscapes on Earth to be recreated in a laboratory, the researchers bulldozed nearly 40 acres (16 hectares) of Inner Mongolia`s Tengger Desert for the experiment in 2008. For the next four years, Clément Narteau of the Global Institute for Physics in Paris, France, and his colleagues closely observed the formation of the dunes by tracking the winds.
The study found that the newly created dunes under the influence of desert`s seasonally varying wind patterns grew at an angle of about 50 degrees to the overall wind direction. The dunes` alignment initially shifted back and forth with the changing winds and eventually the final orientation of each dune was a compromise between the two wind directions, their durations and their relative strengths.
The research could help astronomers determine weather patterns on distant planets and moons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’