Researchers reveal how sand dunes are formed
Zee News Bureau/Liji Varghese
New Delhi: Researchers, after a four-year experiment have revealed how prevailing winds create sand dunes on Earth.
Since sand dunes are one of the most difficult landscapes on Earth to be recreated in a laboratory, the researchers bulldozed nearly 40 acres (16 hectares) of Inner Mongolia`s Tengger Desert for the experiment in 2008. For the next four years, Clément Narteau of the Global Institute for Physics in Paris, France, and his colleagues closely observed the formation of the dunes by tracking the winds.
The study found that the newly created dunes under the influence of desert`s seasonally varying wind patterns grew at an angle of about 50 degrees to the overall wind direction. The dunes` alignment initially shifted back and forth with the changing winds and eventually the final orientation of each dune was a compromise between the two wind directions, their durations and their relative strengths.
The research could help astronomers determine weather patterns on distant planets and moons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'