Rhino killed in Kaziranga; horn and ears taken away
Kaziranga: An adult male rhino was shot dead in Kaziranga National Park in upper Assam by poachers who took away its horn, ears and a patch of its skin, park sources said.
This is the 38th rhino killed by poachers so far this year in the Park.
The carcass of the rhino was spotted today by the Forest Department patrolling staff in the Bhelupatoni area between Bohola Janata forest camp and Chirang camp under Burapahar Range of the World Heritage Site, Park sources said.
After killing the rhino, poachers sawed the horn, cut its ears and a portion of its skin and took them away, the sources said.
Earlier on November one, the carcass of a male rhino with its horn taken away was recovered near Tohola camp in Agaratoli Range of the Park.
Kaziranga, home to the one-horned Great Indian Rhinoceros had opened to tourists On November one for four months after it was routinely closed in May before the onset of the monsoon.
Recently on November 22, a Parliamentary Standing Committee team visiting the Park had expressed serious concern over the killing of rhinos by poachers there and assured the authorities to take up the matter with the central ministries concerned.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested