Robot that can talk, emote and read human minds built by IIT alumnus
Zee Media Bureau/Salome Phelamei
New Delhi: This is not a science fiction, but real! Charles or Charlie the robot, can talk, walk, sing, tell the weather and even read human minds.
Designed by Rajiv Khosla, an alumnus of Indian Institute of Technology and professor at Australia`s La Trobe University, it is one of the world`s most advanced robots built till date.
Charlie has been designed to help people with problems like dementia, autism, brain injury and other illness.
The 6.5 kg robot is capable of perceiving a person`s needs through their moods and facial expressions. The robot can even assist parents in babysitting.
The robot has been programmed to speak 11 languages including Hindi, Tamil, Chinese, Italian and German. It can be used by all age groups to take therapeutic effects and positive stimulus.
Researchers conducted more than 20 field trials with Charlie and other robots like Matilda, Jake, Lucy and Sophie in Australia. Communication with the robots can be done through voice commands, touch pads, tablets and even using facial expressions. They detect how a person feels and accordingly personalises their services.
Mr. Khosla says that these robots are multi-lingual and can be personalised based on the language, culture and lifestyle. He also believes that robots like Charlie can cross the boundaries of “language, culture and lifestyle.”
The robot, designed by Khosla along with his team at La Trobe University in collaboration with Japanese electronic giant NEC Corp, can even send mails helping senior citizens to stay connected to their relatives and friends via Internet.
The price of the robot is estimated at Rs 90,000.
Researchers said they are looking for business partners who will be interested in exploring the applications of these robots in india.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Para SF of Indian Army - The specialised combat force!
- Haryana Minister Anil Vij takes back his insulting comments against Gandhi
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre