Robot that can talk, emote and read human minds built by IIT alumnus
Zee Media Bureau/Salome Phelamei
New Delhi: This is not a science fiction, but real! Charles or Charlie the robot, can talk, walk, sing, tell the weather and even read human minds.
Designed by Rajiv Khosla, an alumnus of Indian Institute of Technology and professor at Australia`s La Trobe University, it is one of the world`s most advanced robots built till date.
Charlie has been designed to help people with problems like dementia, autism, brain injury and other illness.
The 6.5 kg robot is capable of perceiving a person`s needs through their moods and facial expressions. The robot can even assist parents in babysitting.
The robot has been programmed to speak 11 languages including Hindi, Tamil, Chinese, Italian and German. It can be used by all age groups to take therapeutic effects and positive stimulus.
Researchers conducted more than 20 field trials with Charlie and other robots like Matilda, Jake, Lucy and Sophie in Australia. Communication with the robots can be done through voice commands, touch pads, tablets and even using facial expressions. They detect how a person feels and accordingly personalises their services.
Mr. Khosla says that these robots are multi-lingual and can be personalised based on the language, culture and lifestyle. He also believes that robots like Charlie can cross the boundaries of “language, culture and lifestyle.”
The robot, designed by Khosla along with his team at La Trobe University in collaboration with Japanese electronic giant NEC Corp, can even send mails helping senior citizens to stay connected to their relatives and friends via Internet.
The price of the robot is estimated at Rs 90,000.
Researchers said they are looking for business partners who will be interested in exploring the applications of these robots in india.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery