Scientist develops body-double robot
New York: A Japanese scientist has developed a body-double robot which resembles him closely, with tiny human-like movements and blinking eyes.
Japanese roboticist Hiroshi Ishiguro, director of the Intelligent Robotics Laboratory at Osaka University, Japan, has been working on developing lifelike androids.
The new robot was unveiled at the Global Futures 2045 International Congress in New York, a futuristic conference focused on the technological singularity.
The new `Geminoid`, an android resembling a real person was tele-operated - controlled remotely - by a person offstage.
Ishiguro has also developed another Geminoid, a fashionably dressed female android, which he has shown off in the windows of clothing stores, LiveScience reported.
The robot was so popular that the clothing it was modelling sold out immediately, Ishiguro said.
Ishiguro has also taken his robots on the road as part of a travelling "android theatre," where they act out scenes with human-like expressions.
The roboticist also made the "Telenoid," a pillow-like bot deliberately designed to appear ageless and genderless so that people can project an imagined face onto its neutral appearance.
Ishiguro has tested the Telenoid among the elderly in Denmark, who took to it very well, he said.
Another of Ishiguro`s inventions is the "Elfoid" - a smaller version of the Telenoid that functions as a mobile phone.
Today, everyone talks to the "little black boxes" of their smartphones, Ishiguro said, so he wanted to personalise and humanise the devices.
At the end of Ishiguro`s talk, his robotic double spoke up, saying that next time, it would give a much better presentation than the real Ishiguro.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured