Scientists discover new particle called `quantum droplet` that acts like liquid
Zee Media Bureau
Washington: Researchers in Germany and the United States have discovered a new type of quasiparticle dubbed as the quantum droplet, or “dropleton”.
A quantum droplet is a complex of electrons and “holes”, roughly five in number.
It is called quasiparticle, as it is not an elementary particle and rather composite in nature. Scientists say it behaves a bit like a liquid droplet.
According to researchers, this discovery will play a useful role in the development of nanotechnology and also in the making of design of optoelectronic devices like LED lights and semiconductor lasers used in Blu-ray players.
Dropletons last for only about 25 picoseconds, but according to scientists, the time is is stable enough to study how light interacts with certain types of matter.
Quantum physics is a branch of physics that relates to events taking place on the tiniest scale. It is essential in describing the structure of atoms.
(With Reuters inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch