Scientists discover new particle called `quantum droplet` that acts like liquid
Zee Media Bureau
Washington: Researchers in Germany and the United States have discovered a new type of quasiparticle dubbed as the quantum droplet, or “dropleton”.
A quantum droplet is a complex of electrons and “holes”, roughly five in number.
It is called quasiparticle, as it is not an elementary particle and rather composite in nature. Scientists say it behaves a bit like a liquid droplet.
According to researchers, this discovery will play a useful role in the development of nanotechnology and also in the making of design of optoelectronic devices like LED lights and semiconductor lasers used in Blu-ray players.
Dropletons last for only about 25 picoseconds, but according to scientists, the time is is stable enough to study how light interacts with certain types of matter.
Quantum physics is a branch of physics that relates to events taking place on the tiniest scale. It is essential in describing the structure of atoms.
(With Reuters inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test launches first ever indigenous space shuttle
- PM Modi to meet top Iranian leaders today
- Pakistan denounces US drone strike on Taliban chief Mullah Mansoor
- BJP's Roopa Ganguly attacked by Trinamool workers near Kolkata
- PM Modi in Tehran: India, Iran sign historic pact on Chabahar port
- Meet Priyanka Chopra's 'woman crush'! You will love her for sure
- Watch – 'Hillary Clinton lying for 13 minutes straight'
- Another blockbuster? Salman Khan's next with Kabir Khan based on human drama!
- Space shuttle launch: PM Modi hails ISRO scientists
- Ariana Grande trips at Billboard Music Awards red carpet