Scientists discover new particle called `quantum droplet` that acts like liquid
Zee Media Bureau
Washington: Researchers in Germany and the United States have discovered a new type of quasiparticle dubbed as the quantum droplet, or “dropleton”.
A quantum droplet is a complex of electrons and “holes”, roughly five in number.
It is called quasiparticle, as it is not an elementary particle and rather composite in nature. Scientists say it behaves a bit like a liquid droplet.
According to researchers, this discovery will play a useful role in the development of nanotechnology and also in the making of design of optoelectronic devices like LED lights and semiconductor lasers used in Blu-ray players.
Dropletons last for only about 25 picoseconds, but according to scientists, the time is is stable enough to study how light interacts with certain types of matter.
Quantum physics is a branch of physics that relates to events taking place on the tiniest scale. It is essential in describing the structure of atoms.
(With Reuters inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Euro 2016: Belgium beat Hungary 4-0 to reach quarterfinal as Yannick Carrasco scores final goal
- Singapore Airlines flight caught fire during emergency landing at Changi Airport - Details here
- New survey reveals why men resort to unprotected sex
- 4.7 magnitude earthquake hits India-Bangladesh border region
- Google pays musical tribute to Bollywood legend RD Burman on his 77th birth anniversary! - See pic