Scientists `kill` world`s oldest creature, 507-yr-old clam while verifying age
London: A clam that was world`s oldest creature at 507, was killed by the scientists while checking it`s age.
Climate change experts from Bangor University discovered the mollusc nicknamed `Ming` in north Wales on a trip dredging Iceland`s seabeds in 2006 and at that time wrongly ascertained that it was 405 years.
Researchers who calculated Ming`s age killed it instantly by opening its shell.
However, seven years later, new calculations have shown that the clam is actually 102 years older.
It means Ming, named after the Chinese dynasty, was born in 1499.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday