Sharks prefer attacking prey from behind
Washington: Researchers have claimed that sharks can comprehend body orientation and therefore know whether humans are facing them or not.
Erich Ritter of the Shark Research Institute and Raid Amin of the University of West Florida said that this ability helps sharks to approach and possibly attack their prey from the blind side - a technique they prefer.
Descriptions of a shark`s approach to typical prey, as well as humans, indicate that these predatory fish prefer to avoid the field of vision.
In other words, a shark would tend to approach a person from behind.
These observations underlie the yet-untested assumption that sharks are able to identify human body orientation and can use such information in a self-serving manner.
Ritter and Amin devised a test to evaluate if sharks show a measurable preference based on body orientation when approaching a person, and if they choose a certain swim pattern when close to a human being.
In one experiment, a diver in full scuba gear was positioned on the sea floor in a kneeling position, looking forward. In another, two divers kneeled back-to-back to eliminate the blind area.
They found that when approaching a single test-subject, significantly more sharks preferred to swim outside the person`s field of vision.
The results suggest that sharks can identify human body orientation, but the mechanisms used and factors affecting the nearest distance of approach remain unclear.
The study has been published in Springer`s journal Animal Cognition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore