Shroud of Turin dates back to Jesus` era, says new book
New York: Scientists have placed the famed Shroud of Turin to Christ`s time, between the 280 BC and AD 220, raising questions about whether the relic is more than a medieval hoax.
According to the Telegraph, a team of scientists from University of Padua analyzed fibres from the shroud with infrared lights and also measured radiation intensity through wavelengths, the New York Post reported.
The new information linking the Turin shroud to Christ`s lifetime has been published by associate professor Giulio Fanti and journalist Saverio Gaeta in the book `Il Mistero della Sindone` (The Mystery of the Shroud).
According to The Guardian, Fanti said that results from the previous study were not "statistically reliable."
The Shroud of Turin is an ancient linen sheet that is prized by many Christians as the burial cloth that wrapped Christ`s body after his crucifixion.
The bearded man on the 14-foot cloth has long hair, nail wounds on his wrists and feet, pinpricks from thorns on his forehead, and a spear wound to his chest.
Scientists have till now been unable to explain exactly how the Shroud, kept in Italy, was imprinted with the face, torso, and legs of a crucified man.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- LTCG tax concession for under construction property
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch