Single gene that separates queen bee from workers discovered
Washington: A team of researchers has identified a single gene in honeybees that separates the queen from the workers.
The team led by Wayne State University, in collaboration with Michigan State University, unraveled the gene`s inner workings. The gene, which is responsible for leg and wing development, plays a crucial role in the evolution of bees` ability to carry pollen.
"The gene - Ultrabithorax, or Ubx - is responsible for making hind legs different from fore legs so they can carry pollen," Aleksandar Popadic , principal investigator of the study, said. "In some groups, like crickets, Ubx is responsible for creating a `jumping` hind leg. In others, such as bees, it makes a pollen basket - a `naked,` bristle-free leg region that creates a space for packing pollen."
Ubx represses the development of bristles on bees` hind legs, creating a smooth surface that can be used for packing pollen. This important discovery can be used as a foray into more commercial studies focused on providing means to enhance a bee`s pollination ability- the bigger the pollen basket, the more pollen that can be packed in it and transported back to the hive.
In another interesting finding, researchers identified that bees living in more complex social structures have an advantage over isolated populations in developing these important functions.
The study was published in the journal Biology Letters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened