Solar-powered plane lands in Washington
Washington: The single seater Solar Impulse plane, attempting a record-breaking trip across the US, made a smooth landing here today, leaving it with just one more hop to go in its cross-continent journey.
The Swiss-made 63-meter-wide aircraft set down at Dulles International Airport at O4:15 GMT, with Solar Impulse chairman Bertrand Piccard at the controls.
The trip from Cincinnati Lunken Municipal Airport took more than 10 hours, an hour and a half longer than it would have taken to drive.
Solar Impulse is designed to demonstrate how solar power alone can take a plane across the country, and eventually around the world, `NBC News` reported.
Although this trip didn`t set any speed records, it did include a first-ever overnight "pit stop."
"For the first time, the solar airplane was able to enjoy a starry night under the watchful eyes of its bodyguard, the ground crew," the Solar Impulse team said.
Yesterday`s departure was delayed more than two hours due to fog at the Cincinnati airport. The condensation on Solar Impulse`s wings, which double as solar arrays, were laboriously wiped off by the crew before the plane`s takeoff.
Solar Impulse`s "Across America" adventure is aimed at highlighting the plane`s technologies and preparing the way for an even more ambitious round-the-world odyssey in 2015.
The carbon-composite plane has the wingspan of a Boeing 747 jet but is as light as a passenger car. The plane`s power is generated by the 12,000 solar cells mounted on the wings and horizontal stabiliser, the report said.
According to Piccard, the Solar Impulse`s technologies could go commercial within the next five years.
The plane`s American voyage officially began on May 3 with Solar Impulse`s takeoff from Moffett Field in California, and continued with several stopovers.
The journey is expected to end with a Washington-to-New York flight in early July.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE