Soon, a robot that hops like a kangaroo
London: Ever seen a robot that flies like a seagull or jumps like a kangaroo? You must not have but soon will.
For the last few years, a German firm Festo has been secretly working in their sprawling laboratory on their most ambitious bio-inspired robot yet: a hopping robotic kangaroo.
BionicKangaroo is able to realistically emulate the jumping behaviour of real kangaroos, which means that it can efficiently recover energy from one jump to help it make another jump.
Without this capability, kangaroos (real ones) would get very tired very quickly, but by using their tendons like elastic springs, the animals can bound at high speeds efficiently for substantial periods of time.
BionicKangaroo emulates this with an actual elastic spring, which partially “charges” the legs on landing.
The entire robotic animal weighs just seven kg and stands a metre high but it can jump 0.4 metre vertically and 0.8 metres horizontally, which is fairly impressive, media reports said.
BionicKangaroo relies on either a small compressor or a storage tank to provide high-pressure air for the pneumatic muscles that power the jumping.
A sophisticated kinematic control system keeps the robot from toppling over, the reports added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India