Soon, synthetic spider silk that`s five times stronger than steel
Washington: Synthetic spider silk that`s five times stronger than steel speeding toward commercial reality.
Alex Scott, a senior editor at Chemical and Engineering News (C and EN), notes that spider silk`s impressive strength has been studied for years, and scientists have been trying to make a synthetic version of the super-strong protein in the lab.
For other simpler proteins, scientists have been able to insert relevant genes into bacterial DNA, essentially turning the micro organisms into protein factories.
However, small firms just might have found the right genetic tricks, the article states. They are coaxing not just genetically engineered bacteria but also goats, transgenic silkworms and even alfalfa to produce multiple different versions of synthetic spider and spider-silkworm silks.
One company has even taken their iteration to the market - though theirs is a non-fibre kind of spider silk for use in cosmetics. So far, commercialization has been on a modest scale.
But the research pipeline for synthetic spider silk is very active, and scientists expect that production is right on the verge of scaling up.
The study has been published in Chemical and Engineering News - a weekly news magazine of the American Chemical Society.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room