Soon, world`s first 3D-printed space camera
New York: Come September, NASA plans to have the first 3D-printed space camera to give space exploration a new dimension.
"We are the first to attempt to build an entire instrument with 3D printing," said Jason Budinoff, an aerospace engineer at NASA`s Goddard Space Flight Centre in Maryland.
Budinoff is building a 2-inch camera for a cubesat - a miniature satellite, space.com reported.
The camera will have to pass vibration and thermal-vacuum tests next year to prove that it`s capable of space travel.
Budinoff is also using 3D printing to build a 14-inch dual-channel telescope.
To build the 3D-printed instruments, first a computer-controlled laser melts down a pile of metal powder.
It then fuses the melted metal into a specific configuration determined by a 3D computer design.
The instruments are built and assembled layer by layer - like slices of bread from a loaf.
The 3D printers could reduce the overall cost of building space exploring instruments in the near future, the report added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list