Star Wars-styled robotic arm approved for mass production
Washington: DARPA, the US Defense Department`s advanced research agency, had set out to find a better solution for amputees than the metal hooks still widely used today nearly eight years ago.
Now, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has granted its approval to one of the projects that came from that effort: a mind-controlled prosthetic limb called the DEKA Arm, the Verge reported.
The DEKA Arm System has been affectionately dubbed "The Luke," after Star Wars` Luke Skywalker who received a robotic replacement for the hand he lost in a fight with Darth Vader in the 1980 film `The Empire Strikes Back.`
A number of other scientists and engineers around the world are working on similar devices, but this is the first such prosthetic to get FDA approval.
The prosthetic device comes from a company founded by Segway inventor Dean Kamen, and it is roughly the size and weight of an adult arm.
The arm is controlled by electromyogram electrodes placed on the remaining portion of the human arm.
Those sensors pick up electric signals from muscle movements in the upper arm, and a computer in the robotic arm can tell what type of maneuver the user wants to make.
The results are impressive: with the arm, amputees in clinical trials were able to perform tasks once thought impossible for a prosthetic limb. They could use zippers and keys, and - thanks to vibration feedback at the base of the prosthetic - they could pick up objects like grapes and eggs without crushing them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How will Sonowal's govt solve problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam?
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam - Part II
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part III
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part IV
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Second seed Andy Murray battles into French Open second round
- Watch video: Furious and stormy young sun seeded life on Earth, says NASA
- Being a mom tops my priority list, says Aishwarya Rai Bachchan
- 'Comedy Nights' needed a 'Bachao' from Akshay Kumar over racist jokes on Lisa Haydon? Details inside
- Register your marriage online by paying just Rs 100