Stephen Hawking says God particle discovery makes physics boring
London: Stephen Hawking has said that physics would have been more interesting if the Higgs boson particle hadn`t been found.
Last year`s detection of the Higgs boson came as something of a let-down for the world-renowned cosmologist.
He said in a speech at the Science Museum in London that he had another reason to lament the breakthrough, which brought a Nobel Prize for Prof Peter Higgs, the man who first proposed the God particle theory.
He said that he had a bet with Gordon Kane of Michigan University that the Higgs particle wouldn`t be found, but he lost the bet and it cost him 100 dollars.
The 71-year-old explained that he would have relished trying to find a more exotic solution to the problem of what gives particles mass, had the Higgs boson not been found.
But he was not always so hungry for academic challenges, he admitted in the speech, as he recalled his days as a slacker undergraduate at Oxford University.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'El Chapo' appeals extradition to US
- Rahul to lead 'Mashal Juloos' in protest against power cuts, water crisis in Delhi
- CBSE Class Xth Results 2016 to be declared today at 2 pm; check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- WATCH: MIRACLE! This fielder did the unthinkable during GL vs SRH Qualifier 2
- Marcus Rashford nets place in record books as England beat Australia 2-1