Stephen Hawking says God particle discovery makes physics boring
London: Stephen Hawking has said that physics would have been more interesting if the Higgs boson particle hadn`t been found.
Last year`s detection of the Higgs boson came as something of a let-down for the world-renowned cosmologist.
He said in a speech at the Science Museum in London that he had another reason to lament the breakthrough, which brought a Nobel Prize for Prof Peter Higgs, the man who first proposed the God particle theory.
He said that he had a bet with Gordon Kane of Michigan University that the Higgs particle wouldn`t be found, but he lost the bet and it cost him 100 dollars.
The 71-year-old explained that he would have relished trying to find a more exotic solution to the problem of what gives particles mass, had the Higgs boson not been found.
But he was not always so hungry for academic challenges, he admitted in the speech, as he recalled his days as a slacker undergraduate at Oxford University.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued