Stephen Hawking says God particle discovery makes physics boring
London: Stephen Hawking has said that physics would have been more interesting if the Higgs boson particle hadn`t been found.
Last year`s detection of the Higgs boson came as something of a let-down for the world-renowned cosmologist.
He said in a speech at the Science Museum in London that he had another reason to lament the breakthrough, which brought a Nobel Prize for Prof Peter Higgs, the man who first proposed the God particle theory.
He said that he had a bet with Gordon Kane of Michigan University that the Higgs particle wouldn`t be found, but he lost the bet and it cost him 100 dollars.
The 71-year-old explained that he would have relished trying to find a more exotic solution to the problem of what gives particles mass, had the Higgs boson not been found.
But he was not always so hungry for academic challenges, he admitted in the speech, as he recalled his days as a slacker undergraduate at Oxford University.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you