Talking on cellphone while driving not as dangerous as believed
Washington: It has been a widely believed that talking on a cellphone while driving can be dangerous and lead to more accidents.
However, new research from Carnegie Mellon University and the London School of Economics and Political Science suggests that talking on a cellphone while driving does not increase crash risk.
The study uses data from a major cellphone provider and accident reports to contradict previous findings that connected cellphone use to increased crash risk.
Such findings include the influential 1997 paper in the New England Journal of Medicine, which concluded that cellphone use by drivers increased crash risk by a factor of 4.3 - effectively equating its danger to that of illicit levels of alcohol.
The findings also raise doubts about the traditional cost-benefit analyses used by states that have, or are, implementing cellphone-driving bans as a way to promote safety.
"Using a cellphone while driving may be distracting, but it does not lead to higher crash risk in the setting we examined," Saurabh Bhargava, assistant professor of social and decision sciences in CMU`s Dietrich College of Humanities and Social Sciences, said.
"While our findings may strike many as counterintuitive, our results are precise enough to statistically call into question the effects typically found in the academic literature. Our study differs from most prior work in that it leverages a naturally occurring experiment in a real-world context," he said.
The study is published in the American Economic Journal: Economic Policy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security?
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part II
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part III
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part IV
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part V
- Development initiatives got huge setback in J&K: Mehbooba
- The answer to past earthquakes lies with the ancient Himalayan temples!
- No separate guidelines for defence PSUs on JVs: Govt
- Arvind Kejriwal says PM Narendra Modi can even get him killed; now, BJP's reaction is interesting - READ
- Monsanto case: CCI rejects pleas seeking review of probe order