Technology can enable refinement in teaching methodology: Pranab Mukherjee
Indore: Asserting that technology can enable refinement in teaching methodology, President Pranab Mukherjee on Saturday said it can address the challenges of quantity, quality, accessibility and faculty shortage.
President Mukherjee, who attended the first convocation of Indian Institute of Technology, Indore, speaking on the occasion said that affordability accessibility and availability are the key words in higher education.
"E-classrooms permit information and knowledge sharing by wider dispersal of lectures overcoming distance," he said.
President Mukherjee said that `the products of our higher education should be better prepared for a highly competitive world`.
"Centres of higher learning should have the expertise to impart such skills training. They should emphasize on research, innovation and development," he added.
President Mukherjee said that it is a matter of concern that the list of top two hundred universities in the world does not contain a single Indian institution.
"The past has not been like this. Ancient Indian universities like Takshashila, Nalanda, Vikramashila, Valabhi, Somapura and Odantapuri had dominated the world higher education system for many years," said President Mukherjee.
"Our higher education sector today does not have enough good quality institutions to meet the growing aspirations of our youth," he added.
President Mukherjee stated that along with measures to increase quantity, the drive to enhance the quality of education should engage the attention of our policy makers.
He said that the first batch of one hundred and one engineering students graduating from Indian Institute of Technology, Indore was a major milestone in the annals of the Institute.
Stating that alumni are active in the affairs of top universities in the US, including Harvard, President Mukherjee expressed the hope that the students leaving the portals of IIT Indore today would continue their association with their alma mater in a meaningful way.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?