The friendly canine recognises familiar images
London: There you are. Your pet dog has facial recognition skills much like yours.
It is a fact that faces and eye contact play an important role in the communication between dogs and humans but a new study in which facial recognition of dogs was investigated using images and eye-movement tracking has thrown up surprising results.
The researchers, led by Professor Outi Vainio of the University of Helsinki, tested the dogs` spontaneous behaviour towards images and measured eye movements while they watched facial images of familiar humans and dogs on the computer screen.
At the same time, the dogs were also shown facial images of dogs and humans that they have never seen.
Dogs fixed their gaze more often on familiar faces and eyes rather than strange ones. They also looked at images of dogs longer than images of humans, regardless of the familiarity of the faces presented in the images.
To give a twist to the research, part of the images was presented in inverted forms, i.e. upside-down. Dogs viewed upright faces as long as inverted faces, but they gazed more at the eye area of upright faces, just like humans.
The study shows that dogs are able to differentiate between familiar and strange. This corresponds to a previous study by Vainio`s research group, where it was found that dogs prefer viewing other dogs` faces over human faces.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India