Thermal imaging next big thing in biometric scanning
Washington: The next big thing in biometrics will be a thermal imaging scan that maps the blood vessels under the skin of your face for instantaneous face recognition that would be almost impossible to spoof, it has been revealed.
A team at Jadavpur University in Kolkata, India, explains how the pattern of blood vessels just beneath the skin of our faces is as unique as a fingerprint, iris or other characteristic.
It can be revealed easily with an infra-red thermal imaging camera.
Rubber fingerprints can be made to simulate another person`s dabs while contact lenses can be fabricated to spoof someone`s iris so that an impostor could bypass biometric security measures.
However, it would be almost impossible to create a realistic mask for an impostor to wear that simulated the pattern of blood vessels in someone`s face because no matter how good the mask, the thermal imaging camera would be able to see the impostor`s blood vessels in their skin too and they would be unmasked, figuratively speaking.
Ayan Seal and colleagues have developed a computer algorithm that can analyze the minutiae of the blood vessels revealed by an infra-red scan of a person`s face.
The thermogram readily reveals the pattern of blood vessels almost down to the smallest capillary with an accuracy of more than 97 percent.
Such a degree of precision would suffice even for high-security applications provided the thermogram scan was tied to second or third forms of identity, such as photo ID, security card, PIN number etc.
The findings are published in the International Journal of Computational Intelligence Studies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- 'The Kapil Sharma Show' controversy: Sunil Grover opens up, finds all the 'tamasha' very 'entertaining'