Today is both longest and shortest day of year
Dubai: Friday this week will be the day of summer solstice - the natural phenomenon marking the longest day of the year .
The day will officially mark the start of summer in the northern hemisphere and winter in the southern hemisphere, in countries like Australia, South Africa and Chile, Friday will be the shortest day of the year.
The daylight duration will be 13 hours, 42 minutes and 46 seconds on this day, Gulf News reported.
The length of the day will start reducing from Saturday till December 21, which will be the winter solstice - the shortest day of the year.
According to News.com.au, Southeast Queensland is set to receive just under ten and a half hours of sunshine on Friday, with Sun to rise at 6.37am and set at 5.02pm.
The day will also fall on June 21, next two years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- Non-BJP parties plan to boycott PM Narendra Modi's 'Smart Cities Mission' event - Know the reason
- Two lakh ration cards cancelled in two months in Jharkhand
- PM Narendra Modi returns from Tashkent after completing his two-day visit
- Barack Obama says UK committed to 'orderly transition' out of EU
- Islamic State captures 900 Kurdish civilians in north Syria in 3 weeks