Tomb of despised Chinese emperor found
Beijing: The tomb of one of China`s most loathed rulers was discovered by chance over the weekend at a construction site.
The find was made Sunday by workers at a building under construction in the eastern city of Yangzhou, where Emperor Yang Guang (A.D. 569-618) spent his final days, having sought refuge in the city from a popular uprising only to be strangled by one of his generals.
Though the mausoleum is in poor condition, the inscriptions on the tombstone and the presence of some objects that were of exclusive use by emperors leave no doubt it is Yang`s burial place.
Another mausoleum in the same city had attracted thousands of tourists over many years by billing itself as the resting place for Yang`s remains, but the new find shows those claims to be false.
Chief municipal archaeologist Shu Jiaping said a gold and jade belt and lion-shaped door knockers found inside the mausoleum prove it to be the 7th century ruler`s real mausoleum.
The discovery surprised nearby residents, one of whom told the China Daily it was an honor "to have had an emperor as a neighbour, even if he was an evil one".
Yang Guang, who ruled China from 604 to 618, is traditionally described by historians as a profligate ruler who committed numerous military blunders and whose delusions of grandeur brought about the untimely deaths of millions of his subjects.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- Being obese can cause 13 types of cancer, say scientists
- All you want to know about Krishna Janmashtami: Muhurat, puja vidhi and timings!
- Tillakaratne Dilshan to retire from international cricket after 3rd ODI, two T20Is against Australia
- Stand by what I said about RSS, will never stop fighting its hateful agenda: Rahul Gandhi
- Mercedes to have petrol option for all models in India by September