Top 10 scientific breakthroughs of 2013
Washington: The annual list of groundbreaking scientific achievements, selected by Science and its international nonprofit publisher, has been revealed.
The top most breakthrough has been cancer immunotherapy, followed by a gene-editing technique called CRISPR, which is used to manipulate the genome s of various plant, animal and human cells.
The list compiled by Science and American Association for the Advancement of Science includes solar-cell materials which are cheaper and easier to produce than those in traditional silicon cells, and the techniques involving the use of the structure of an antibody to design an immunogen, which is a powerful tool for fighting diseases.
The imaging technique called CLARITY, which renders brain tissue transparent and puts neurons on full display, also made it to the list.
Also, the study which suggested that the brain cleans itself much more efficiently during sleep as well as stem cells derived from cloned human embryos, made it to the list.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof