Top 10 scientific breakthroughs of 2013
Washington: The annual list of groundbreaking scientific achievements, selected by Science and its international nonprofit publisher, has been revealed.
The top most breakthrough has been cancer immunotherapy, followed by a gene-editing technique called CRISPR, which is used to manipulate the genome s of various plant, animal and human cells.
The list compiled by Science and American Association for the Advancement of Science includes solar-cell materials which are cheaper and easier to produce than those in traditional silicon cells, and the techniques involving the use of the structure of an antibody to design an immunogen, which is a powerful tool for fighting diseases.
The imaging technique called CLARITY, which renders brain tissue transparent and puts neurons on full display, also made it to the list.
Also, the study which suggested that the brain cleans itself much more efficiently during sleep as well as stem cells derived from cloned human embryos, made it to the list.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader