Top 10 scientific breakthroughs of 2013
Washington: The annual list of groundbreaking scientific achievements, selected by Science and its international nonprofit publisher, has been revealed.
The top most breakthrough has been cancer immunotherapy, followed by a gene-editing technique called CRISPR, which is used to manipulate the genome s of various plant, animal and human cells.
The list compiled by Science and American Association for the Advancement of Science includes solar-cell materials which are cheaper and easier to produce than those in traditional silicon cells, and the techniques involving the use of the structure of an antibody to design an immunogen, which is a powerful tool for fighting diseases.
The imaging technique called CLARITY, which renders brain tissue transparent and puts neurons on full display, also made it to the list.
Also, the study which suggested that the brain cleans itself much more efficiently during sleep as well as stem cells derived from cloned human embryos, made it to the list.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NDRF says ‘fire out in 70% of affected areas’, Centre sends team to probe Uttarakhand forest fires
- Major shift in Modi govt’s stand on Hurriyat leaders as VK Singh says ‘they are citizens of India’?
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan legal spat: Sona Mohapatra slams Adhyayan Suman - Here's why
- Kangana Ranaut's deposition after lot of delay, drama, says Hrithik Roshan's legal team
- WATCH: Ugly spat between Harbhajan Singh, Ambati Rayudu during Mumbai Indians vs Rising Pune Supergiants match