Top 10 scientific breakthroughs of 2013
Washington: The annual list of groundbreaking scientific achievements, selected by Science and its international nonprofit publisher, has been revealed.
The top most breakthrough has been cancer immunotherapy, followed by a gene-editing technique called CRISPR, which is used to manipulate the genome s of various plant, animal and human cells.
The list compiled by Science and American Association for the Advancement of Science includes solar-cell materials which are cheaper and easier to produce than those in traditional silicon cells, and the techniques involving the use of the structure of an antibody to design an immunogen, which is a powerful tool for fighting diseases.
The imaging technique called CLARITY, which renders brain tissue transparent and puts neurons on full display, also made it to the list.
Also, the study which suggested that the brain cleans itself much more efficiently during sleep as well as stem cells derived from cloned human embryos, made it to the list.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ISIS threat: Home Ministry holds meeting with 12 state DGPs
- Delhi: Doctor found dead in RML hospital's parking lot
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Playing politics on terror: Is this how the govt will combat terrorism?
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement