Top US award for India`s biotech queen
Bangalore: Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw of the country`s largest biotech research firm, Biocon Ltd, has been named winner of the 2014 Othmer Gold Medal, a top award of the US-based Chemical Heritage Foundation.
Shaw is also known as India`s biotech queen for her pioneering work in biotech research.
She will be conferred the prestigious award in March at Philadelphia, where the Foundation is based, a Biocon spokesperson said Thursday.
The Chemical Heritage Foundation, a non-profit organisation, preserves history and heritage of chemistry and chemical engineering. Its collections are used to set up a body of original scholarship to highlight chemistry`s role in shaping society.
"Shaw, the first woman brew master in India, used knowledge of fermentation to become one of the greatest entrepreneurs in her country," Foundation chief executive Carsten Reinhardt said in a statement here.
In addition to her success in business, Shaw is among the world`s leading philanthropists, who spent much of her fortune to provide healthcare to the poorest in her country.
"I feel privileged to receive this prestigious honour and join the distinguished list of its recipients like James Watson, Ahmed Zawail and Robert Langer, from whom I have drawn great inspiration," Shaw said in a statement.
Shaw is the third woman and 20th recipient of the coveted medal, instituted in 1997 to honour those who contribute to chemical and scientific heritage through outstanding activity in innovation, entrepreneurship and research.
The medal commemorates Donald Othmer (1904-1995), noted researcher, consultant, editor, engineer, inventor, philanthropist, professor, and co-editor of the Kirk-Othmer Encyclopaedia of Chemical Technology.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?