Transparent solar device that doesn`t block the view
Washington: Imagine a solar device that, when placed over a window, creates solar energy while allowing people to actually see through the window.
Researchers at Michigan State University has developed a new type of transparent luminescent solar concentrator that can be used on buildings, cell phones and any other device that has a clear surface.
The solar harvesting system uses small organic molecules to absorb specific nonvisible wavelengths of sunlight.
"We can tune these materials to pick up just the ultraviolet and the near infrared wavelengths that then aglow` at another wavelength in the infrared," said Richard Lunt from Michigan State University`s college of engineering.
The "glowing" infrared light is guided to the edge of the plastic where it is converted to electricity by thin strips of photovoltaic solar cells.
"Because the materials do not absorb or emit light in the visible spectrum, they look exceptionally transparent to the human eye," Lunt added.
One of the benefits of this new development is its flexibility.
"It can be used on tall buildings with lots of windows or any kind of mobile device that demands high aesthetic quality like a phone or e-reader. Ultimately we want to make solar harvesting surfaces that you do not even know are there," Lunt noted.
The study appeared in the journal Advanced Optical Materials.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA