US aquarium showcases newly discovered species
Los Angeles: Danny Muñoz, a marine biologist at the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach, is part of the team behind an exhibit of more than a dozen newly discovered species for the facility`s new Wonders of the Deep gallery.
"To explore the oceans from where these little creatures come is important, because besides finding many food sources, there could be many medicines that humanity needs to eradicate illnesses which currently cannot be cured," Muñoz told EFE.
"I take care of the Trapezia crabs on the coral in the exhibit that are found in the Pacific ... from Australia to Indonesia ... but the crabs we have in the aquarium are specifically from the Fiji islands," the biologist said.
Besides the crabs, the Wonders of the Deep gallery features luminescent fish and other creatures from the depths of the Mariana trench.
"There is a symbiotic relationship between my crabs and the coral, because if there`s a starfish or some other creature that wants to eat the coral, the crab defends it," Muñoz said.
While the coral, he added, secretes "a kind of sap that is a source of nutrients for the crab.
"Almost 95 percent of the ocean remains unexplored and these little creatures are from those places such as the trench, where only two or three people have been able to go, and the little we know has been explored with robots," the biologist said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi