US Army developing `Iron Man` style armour for troops
London: The US Army is reportedly developing `smart armour` similar to that of Iron Man in a bid to give its troops ` superhuman strength`.
The army is seeking help of the technology industry, government labs and academia like the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, to help build the revolutionary smart suit, ready to be out in the field in three years of time.
According to the BBC, the Tactical Assault Light Operator Suit (Talos) would have a frame like that of exoskeletons that allow soldiers to carry large loads, but would also have layers of smart materials fitted with sensors to monitor body temperature, heart rate and hydration levels.
The US Army said that the suit would also need to have wide-area networking and a wearable computer similar to Google Glass.
Science advisor at the US Army`s research command Lt Col Karl Borjes said that the requirement is of a comprehensive family of systems in a combat armour suit inclusive of exoskeleton with innovative armour, displays for power monitoring, health monitoring, and integrating a weapon into that.
The report said that an MIT team is currently developing liquid body armour, made from fluids that transform into a solid when a magnetic field or electrical current is applied.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Mathura violence: Judicial probe into Jawahar Bagh incident begins
- IIFA 2016: Dramatic entry! When Shahid Kapoor, Farhan Akhtar hit the green carpet on Spanish donkeys - Pic inside
- Seven killed as car rams into minibus in Kenya's Kwale
- Hope law will be passed for construction of Ram temple by PM Narendra Modi-led government: VHP leader Pravin Togadia
- Rock stars and celebrities react with dismay to Brexit