US military to use `airless tires` in All Terrain Vehicles
Washington: All-terrain vehicles (ATV) major Polaris has started delivering MV850 ATV fitted with the flat-proof TerrainArmor tires to the United States Special Operations Forces.
The company is planning to introduce a retail version of the airless tires soon, Fox News reports.
The new technology is a wheel and tire combination that features a rubber tread band supported by a polymeric web for structure that is also able to deform, like an air-filled tire, as it rolls over obstacles to provide cushioning, the report added.
Polaris claimed the airless tires can take a shot from a .50 caliber gun without failing.
They tested the tires by driving on for over 1,000 miles off-road after it was punctured by a railroad spike.
A Polaris representative said they are working on tire versions that will fit additional vehicles in the company`s lineup and consumer sales could begin within six months.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- Islamic State bombings in southern Yemen kill 38
- UK pensions minister Crabb considering bid to succeed PM Cameron: Report
- Special panel on India's NSG membership bid? We're not aware, says China
- Ruby Rai, Bihar Class 12 topper now under arrest for cheating, says she never wanted to top the exam
- Euro 2016: Iceland stun England in one of greatest ever shocks