US military to use `airless tires` in All Terrain Vehicles
Washington: All-terrain vehicles (ATV) major Polaris has started delivering MV850 ATV fitted with the flat-proof TerrainArmor tires to the United States Special Operations Forces.
The company is planning to introduce a retail version of the airless tires soon, Fox News reports.
The new technology is a wheel and tire combination that features a rubber tread band supported by a polymeric web for structure that is also able to deform, like an air-filled tire, as it rolls over obstacles to provide cushioning, the report added.
Polaris claimed the airless tires can take a shot from a .50 caliber gun without failing.
They tested the tires by driving on for over 1,000 miles off-road after it was punctured by a railroad spike.
A Polaris representative said they are working on tire versions that will fit additional vehicles in the company`s lineup and consumer sales could begin within six months.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed unanimously in state Assembly; violence rocks Tamil Nadu
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog