US military to use `airless tires` in All Terrain Vehicles
Washington: All-terrain vehicles (ATV) major Polaris has started delivering MV850 ATV fitted with the flat-proof TerrainArmor tires to the United States Special Operations Forces.
The company is planning to introduce a retail version of the airless tires soon, Fox News reports.
The new technology is a wheel and tire combination that features a rubber tread band supported by a polymeric web for structure that is also able to deform, like an air-filled tire, as it rolls over obstacles to provide cushioning, the report added.
Polaris claimed the airless tires can take a shot from a .50 caliber gun without failing.
They tested the tires by driving on for over 1,000 miles off-road after it was punctured by a railroad spike.
A Polaris representative said they are working on tire versions that will fit additional vehicles in the company`s lineup and consumer sales could begin within six months.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured