US military to use `airless tires` in All Terrain Vehicles
Washington: All-terrain vehicles (ATV) major Polaris has started delivering MV850 ATV fitted with the flat-proof TerrainArmor tires to the United States Special Operations Forces.
The company is planning to introduce a retail version of the airless tires soon, Fox News reports.
The new technology is a wheel and tire combination that features a rubber tread band supported by a polymeric web for structure that is also able to deform, like an air-filled tire, as it rolls over obstacles to provide cushioning, the report added.
Polaris claimed the airless tires can take a shot from a .50 caliber gun without failing.
They tested the tires by driving on for over 1,000 miles off-road after it was punctured by a railroad spike.
A Polaris representative said they are working on tire versions that will fit additional vehicles in the company`s lineup and consumer sales could begin within six months.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers