US military to use `airless tires` in All Terrain Vehicles
Washington: All-terrain vehicles (ATV) major Polaris has started delivering MV850 ATV fitted with the flat-proof TerrainArmor tires to the United States Special Operations Forces.
The company is planning to introduce a retail version of the airless tires soon, Fox News reports.
The new technology is a wheel and tire combination that features a rubber tread band supported by a polymeric web for structure that is also able to deform, like an air-filled tire, as it rolls over obstacles to provide cushioning, the report added.
Polaris claimed the airless tires can take a shot from a .50 caliber gun without failing.
They tested the tires by driving on for over 1,000 miles off-road after it was punctured by a railroad spike.
A Polaris representative said they are working on tire versions that will fit additional vehicles in the company`s lineup and consumer sales could begin within six months.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- FSSAI testing more Maggi; brand ambassadors can be liable: Govt
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi