US military`s latest weapon: Robot that gallops at 25 km/h
Washington: US scientists have developed a new four-legged robot called WildCat that gallops at 25 km/h on flat ground and will aid military and rescue operations.
The robot was built by Boston Dynamics, a technology company founded by scientists from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
A new video shows off the robot`s ability to run on flat surfaces but the machine is expected to eventually be able to run quickly over all types of terrain.
WildCat is a free-running version of one of Boston Dynamics` earlier quadruped creation called Cheetah, a super fast robot that could sprint, on a treadmill at least, up to 45.5 km/h - faster than Usain Bolt, the world`s fastest man.
Though WildCat is slower than its predecessor for now, it is untethered.
Wildcat is being developed as part of the US Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency`s (DARPA) Maximum Mobility and Manipulation, or M3, programme, which seeks to overcome the current limitations that ground robots face in terms of agility, `LiveScience` reported.
Boston Dynamics has also built a four-legged, headless `LS3` robotic mule that can carry up to 181 kg of equipment for soldiers on a 32 kilometres trek without refuelling.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'