US, Pak agree to extend sci-tech co-op agreement for 5 years
Washington: The US and Pakistan have agreed to extend their science and technology agreement for another five years, an official announcement has said.
An agreement in this regard would be signed today between the Pakistani Foreign Secretary Jalil Abbas Jilani and State Department Assistant Secretary for Oceans and International Environmental and Scientific Affairs (OES) Dr Kerri-Ann Jones.
"Over the past decade, this agreement has provided a framework to strengthen scientific, technological, and engineering capabilities for both our countries; to broaden and expand relations between the extensive scientific and technological communities in both the United States and Pakistan; and to promote cooperation in areas of mutual benefit," the State Department said yesterday.
Since 2003, when the Science and Technology Agreement was launched, the two governments have jointly-funded nearly USD 30 million worth of collaborative research projects through the US-Pakistan Science and Technology Cooperation Program.
In total, 83 research projects have been supported in a range of scientific areas, including food security, public health, Earth sciences, disaster management, engineering, water, and energy, it said.
Jilani and Jones will be joined by Director of the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy John P Holdren along with the State Department Principal Deputy Special Representative for Afghanistan and Pakistan Dan Feldman.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!