Video: Watch world’s first self-healing polymer in action
Zee Media Bureau/Salome Phelamei
Washington: Scientists in Spain claim to have created the world’s first self-healing polymer, a plastic that repairs itself spontaneously and independently without any outside intervention.
Researchers from the CIDETEC, Centre for Electrochemical Technologies in San Sebastian, Spain said that the polymer could be used to help improve the lifetime and security of everyday plastic items such as electrical components, cars and even houses thereby avoiding costly repairs in future.
The material has been nicknamed as ‘Terminator polymer’ after the shape-shifting T-1000 terminator robot in the film “Terminator 2.
The research has been published in new Royal Society of Chemistry journal Materials Horizons.
The findings showing that how the permanently cross-linked poly (urea-urethane) elastomeric network repaired itself completely after being cut in two with a razor blade have been revealed in a video.
“The fact that polyureaurethanes with similar chemical composition and mechanical properties are already used in a wide range of commercial products makes this system very attractive for a fast and easy implementation in real industrial applications,” said the authors.
Click below to watch the video.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez