Weird, funny scientific discoveries honoured at 23rd Ig Nobel awards
Washington: The 23rd Ig Nobel awards reportedly saw actual Nobel laureates announcing the winners of some of the most weird and humorous scientific discoveries.
Editor Marc Abrahams said that the point of the event, organized by science humor magazine `Annals of Improbable Research` at Harvard University, was to make people laugh, Fox News reported.
The psychology prize went to the experiment that found people who think they are drunk also think they are attractive, done by Laurent Begue, Oulmann Zerhouni, Baptiste Subra and Medhi Ourabah of France and Brad Bushman, a professor at Ohio State University who also teaches in the Netherlands.
The dung beetle navigation experiment that showed lost dung beetles can use the Milky Way to find their way home, won the joint prize in biology and astronomy, given to Marie Dacke, Emily Baird, Marcus Byrne, Clarke Scholtz and Eric Warrant.
Other winners included Brian Crandall of the U.S. and Peter Stahl of Canada and the U.S., who parboiled a dead shrew, then swallowed it without chewing so they could examine their excrement to see which bones would dissolve in the human digestive system and which would.
The awards ceremony included a mini-opera and a contest to win a date with a Nobel laureate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?