What if your smart phone can bounce water off
New York: How about a smart phone or a shoe that repels water so strongly that it causes liquid droplets to “bounce off” its surface!
Possible. Researchers have created a super-hydrophobic surface to make any surface super waterproof.
“To create a super-hydrophobic surface, you cannot just do that with a coating like Teflon or wax you have to actually put a structure on it,” explained professor Julie Crockett from Brigham Young University in Utah.
Existing waterproofing involves spraying surfaces with a coating.
By adding tiny structures to the surface instead, droplets bounce rather than roll off, she added.
In her lab, the team used rib and cavity structures as well as posts that the water sits on top of, like a ball.
As the water droplet falls on to the super-hydrophobic surface, it spreads out like a traditional drop on a surface.
“In nature, lotus leaves do this really well, so what we do in the lab is similar to what we observe on the lotus leaf,” she noted.
The surfaces could be applied to solar panels that do not get dirty or can self-clean when water rolls off of them, or showers, tubs or toilets that prevent water spots forming.
It could also be used on bio-medical devices, said the study published in journal Physics of Fluids.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India