Why mornings are dark in January revealed
London: Scientists have revealed that the reason behind dark mornings in January can be explained with a formula called the `Equation of Time`.
Scientist have explained that if Earth`s axis were perpendicular to its orbit instead of tilted, and if its orbit were a circle instead of an ellipse, then the Sun would appear in the same spot in the sky each day and clocks and sundials would always match, the Daily Express reported.
However, as the Earth moves, the two times can be as much as 16 minutes apart, and when the sun reaches its highest point in the sky, it would not always fall at the same time as noon on a clock.
The Earth moves faster in its orbit where it is closest to the Sun, which comes after the winter solstice, and the astronomers have said that the sunrise `hangs` at the same time just after the winter solstice.
The increased speed pushes solar noon backwards against clock time, and the time stands still for a few days in terms of winter sunrises.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation Part II
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!