Why science is crucial for making Ice-cream revealed
Washington: Food scientists have explained the importance of science in creation of what kids` see as one of the most fun and tasty deserts, Ice-cream.
Maya Warren from University of Wisconsin-Madison, who`s also a member of the Institute of Food Technologists Student Association (IFTSA), explained that few main ingredients of Ice cream include cream, milk solids, sugar or a sugar-type replacement, water, and scientists sometimes add gums to give the ice cream more body and help impede excessive ice crystal growth.
Warren said that homemade ice cream tastes different than market ones because at home the ice cream freezing process can take up to 30-45 minutes, while commercially-made ice cream is usually frozen in 30 seconds or less. The longer freezing time causes the ice cream to have much larger ice crystals which makes it have a less-creamy mouth feel.
Explaining the difference between economy and premium ice cream, experts said that the ice creams have different levels of milk fat and air in them. To be legally called ice cream in the United States, it must have 10 percent or more milk fat. Economy brand ice creams would have at least 10 percent milk fat, and premium ice creams have over 15 percent milk fat. The premium ice creams tend to have less air, so the product is denser.
Fat-free or low-fat ice creams are frozen at a lower temperature faster that create smaller ice crystals and hence is perceived to be just as creamy as fuller fat ice cream. In addition, those products may have added stabilizers and fat replacers to replace the missing fat and add bulk.
The best way to keep ice cream tasting fresh was to don`t let it sit out once taken out of the freezer, and the best way to store ice cream was in a tightly-sealed, closed container, preferably plastic or in a cardboard carton that has some thin plastic lining so the container doesn`t become soggy.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!