Woman from Bengal climbs Mt Everest
Kolkata: Woman mountaineer Chanda Gayen has successfully scaled the Mt Everest on 18 May becoming the third woman from West Bengal to achieve the feat.
A message from the base camp at Solo Khumbu in Nepal reaching here said Chanda, who started the last part of her journey for the summit from camp four at South Col on Friday night, followed the South East ridge route and reached the top at 7 AM.
Chanda, a resident of Howrah in her mid 30s, is the third woman from the state to climb the 8,848 mt peak.
Earlier, Kunga Bhutia from Darjeeling in 1994 and Maj (retired) Shipra Majumdar from Murshidabad in 2004 gained success.
Chanda began her climbing career through city-based mountaineering club, Institute of Exploration, and was trained from the Himalayan Mountaineering Institute in Darjeeling.
She had climbed Jogin I and III in Garhwal Himalaya in 2008 and Manirang in Himachal Pradesh last year.
In her present venture, Chanda left Kolkata on March 28 and reached the base camp at Solo Khumbu after trekking for seven days via Namche Bazar and Thayangboche on April 8.
It has been learnt that a number of climbers, both men and women, from various Indian states, are now at higher camps and waiting for favourable weather to attempt reaching the summit soon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!