World War II started 55 minutes earlier than believed?
London: Nazi dictator Adolf Hitler had lied about the time the World War II started, according to the German gunner who fired first shots, saying the war got underway 55 minutes earlier than the Fuhrer claimed.
Sailor Hermann Gerdau, now 100, was a 26-year-old gunner on Nazi battleship Schleswig-Holstein when it targeted a Polish navy base on September 1, 1939, the `Mirror` reported.
"Hitler told the world the bombardment began at 5.45am, but that was untrue. It began at 4.50am - I know because I was there," Gerdau said.
"We were so close it was impossible to miss. I was bound up in the euphoria of victory," he said.
"We were all seized by the Nazi regime but I was not enthusiastic about the war in general. Soon there was only horror," said Gerdau.
Schleswig-Holstein was turned into a training ship and 800 of its crew members were transferred to battleship Bismarck in 1941.
Gerdau instead went to U-boats - a military submarines operated by Germany - and earned the Iron Cross in 1943. However, Gerdau claims he hated the conflict that resulted in the killing of 60 million people, the report said.
Gerdau was captured as a war prisoner in 1945 and later worked on civilian ships. The centenarian now lives in a care home in Hamburg, Germany.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part II
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part III
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes?
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes? - Part II
- IND vs NZ: New-age Team India announce Kiwi-series fixtures in unique style
- EPFO aims to cover all workers under PF, pension by 2030
- Lionel Messi `God`s gift` to Argentina: President
- Human sex hormone has its evolutionary evidence in Starfish!
- National Ranking to have separate parameters for IISERs: Smriti Irani