World`s fastest robot can reach up to 45 mph
Washington: Florida-based Robotics Unlimited has built OutRunner, a six-legged robot that can reach speeds up to 45 miles per hour on a treadmill and 25 miles per hour outdoors.
That beats previous records, by a lot: the legged robotics experts at Boston Dynamics have only gotten 16 miles an hour outdoors and 28.3 miles an hour on a treadmill.
The team behind Robotics Unlimited is raising 150,000 dollars on Kickstarter in order to produce a small version of the OutRunner, which can reach up to 20 miles per hour, the Verge reported.
If they hit their goal, the creators say they want to host a global robot race in which anyone can enter.
OutRunner looks nothing like an animal, but it still emulates the way animals run by using the same step pattern and mass-to-length ratio.The robot`s center of mass is lower than the axis of rotation, stabilizing it and eliminating the need for sensors and control algorithms to keep it upright.
As a result, OutRunner can run on grass, gravel, and down hills, as well as lean into curves around a track. The design even works with only four legs.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vladimir Putin rages as Turkey shoots down Russian plane
- I was shivering while interviewing Nirbhaya's friend, says Ramnath Goenka awardee Sudhir Chaudhary
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- If India was intolerant, then Kiran Rao wouldn't have married Aamir Khan: Baba Ramdev
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed