World`s first 3D printed metal gun revealed!
Washington: A Texas-based company has reportedly developed the world`s first metal gun using a 3D printer.
The company that goes by the name of Solid Concepts has made the metal pistol which is based on the Browning 1911 firearm.
Solid Concepts revealed that the aim of developing such a gun was to prove that they can make weapons that are fit for `real world applications`.
According to Fox News, the company utilized a manufacturing process known as direct metal laser sintering, or DMLS, which is also used to make metal parts for the aerospace and medical industries and incorporated it to make the gun.
Solid Concepts` vice president of additive manufacturing Kent Firestone said that using the DMLS process in 3D Metal Printing of a gun revolves around reliability, accuracy, and usability of 3D Metal Printing as functional prototypes and end use products.
The report said that with 3D printers getting affordable, there is a big difference in the gun made by Solid Concepts and the weapons made by Defense Distributed, a Texas-based firm that designed guns intended to be built using 3D printers at home.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- 'Second Hand Husband' review: Fails to impress