World`s first 3D printed metal gun revealed!
Washington: A Texas-based company has reportedly developed the world`s first metal gun using a 3D printer.
The company that goes by the name of Solid Concepts has made the metal pistol which is based on the Browning 1911 firearm.
Solid Concepts revealed that the aim of developing such a gun was to prove that they can make weapons that are fit for `real world applications`.
According to Fox News, the company utilized a manufacturing process known as direct metal laser sintering, or DMLS, which is also used to make metal parts for the aerospace and medical industries and incorporated it to make the gun.
Solid Concepts` vice president of additive manufacturing Kent Firestone said that using the DMLS process in 3D Metal Printing of a gun revolves around reliability, accuracy, and usability of 3D Metal Printing as functional prototypes and end use products.
The report said that with 3D printers getting affordable, there is a big difference in the gun made by Solid Concepts and the weapons made by Defense Distributed, a Texas-based firm that designed guns intended to be built using 3D printers at home.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars