World’s largest single crystal of gold discovered
Zee Media Bureau
New York: Scientists have said that a big gold piece, found years ago in Venezuela, has now been identified as the world’s largest single crystal of gold.
The gold piece, which was discovered in a river in Venezuela, weighs 217.78 grams and is the size of a golf ball. Its worth is estimated to be $1.5 million (about Rs.9 crore).
“The structure or atomic arrangement of gold crystals of this size has never been studied before, and we have a unique opportunity to do so,” Miami University geologist John Rakovan was quoted as saying.
To determine the internal structure of the gold lump, the research team of Rakovan used two sophisticated machines: a neutron single-crystal diffraction (SCD) instrument, which determines the atomic arrangement of single crystals; and a high-pressure/preferred orientation (or HIPPO) instrument, which measures the crystal structure and the orientation of crystals in a polycrystalline material.
After examining the huge gold crystal, they found that the gold piece was indeed a very rare single crystal of gold.
Its owner, who lives in the US, provided the samples to Rakovan to assess the crystallinity of the specimen, one of four that he has. All of them were found decades ago in a river in Venezuela.
Proving it was a crystal would mean it was created entirely naturally -- and increase its value, reports said.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi