Your email style can reveal your gender and emotions
London: Researchers have revealed that the words that we use in our messages can reveal our gender, emotions and even personality traits.
Saif Mohammad and his co-workers from the National Research Council Canada, uncover feelings inside an email by using sentiment analysis.
A huge "sentiment" database was created by the team by using crowdsourcing by hiring employees for Amazon`s Mechanical Turk to pair 24,200 words with emotions for instance "ice cream" was paired with "joy."
Comparing the words used in 32,045 emails that were made public after the Enron scandal, helped make it possible to assess emotional tone and how it varies with gender, New Scientist reported.
The findings of the study showed a marked difference between sexes.
Women mostly used words that were related to joy or sadness, while men favoured words that were associated with fear or trust.
However, both sexes used joyous and cheerful words when they wrote to women.
The team also tried to find out personality traits from emotional content.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves