Zoe robot heading back to Atacama Desert to search for subsurface life
Washington: The autonomous, solar-powered Zoe, which became the first robot to map microbial life during a 2005 field expedition in Chile`s Atacama Desert, is returning to the world`s driest desert this month on a NASA astrobiology mission to search for subsurface life.
Like before, Zoe will be testing technologies and techniques that will be necessary for exploring life on Mars. It has been equipped with a one-meter drill for the mission, led by Carnegie Mellon University and the SETI Institute.
"Direct evidence of life, if it exists, is more likely underground, beyond the current reach of rovers," said David Wettergreen, research professor in Carnegie Mellon`s Robotics Institute and the principal investigator for the Life in the Atacama project.
So Zoe has been fitted with a drill made by Honeybee Robotics than can bore deep into the ground.
The robot`s auger will dredge up soil samples that can be analyzed with several on-board instruments. One of these is the Mars Microbeam Raman Spectrometer, an early candidate for the 2020 Mars mission, which can analyze mineral and elemental composition of soil.
In addition to Honeybee, the project includes collaborators at Universidad Catolica del Norte in Chile, the University of Tennessee, Washington University and the Jet Propulsion Laboratory. The project is supported by a 3-million-dollar grant from NASA.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price