10 injured as bomb explodes near MQM office in Karachi
Karachi: A bomb blast targeted an electoral office of Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) near Pakistan`s commercial hub Karachi, injuring 10 people ahead of the May 11 general elections.
Initial reports suggest the political office, set up for election campaigning in the city`s NA-250 constituency, was the target of suspected terrorists. Several party activists are among the injured.
"The MQM office is located in a lane close to the Fresco roundaround where a few metres away the food street is located so as soon as the blast took place there was lot of panic and fear and the food street and markets have now closed down as rescue operations continue," a police official said.
Injured are being shifted to nearby Civil Hospital.
This is the fourth bomb attack on a MQM office since last week when three blasts took place in North Nazimabad and Orangi Town areas while in a fourth incident a election office of the Awami National Party was also bombed.
The outlawed Tehreek-e-Taliban have vowed to target these parties in the run up to the elections because of their secular policies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened